It's been 5 years




Today, it has been 5 years since my sweet Daddy slipped into a slumber. At least that's how I remember it. He was talking to me one minute, then sleepy the next. They told us it would happen that way, but I still felt like he was only sleeping, not sick and dying. I remember quite a few details from his last day awake. I went into work for an hour or two, then I went home. I had a grey dress on with a cream colored sweater. I laid next to my Dad the last few hours he was awake. He looked at me and told me I looked pretty. He told me I reminded him of my Mom. I asked him not to die. I told him I wasn't ready. He smiled and said, it wasn't that easy. I begged him to stay and used my wedding as an excuse. I said, I want you there Dad. He said "I'll be there, you just won't be able to see me".



2 comments:

emmy said...

Oh your sweet dad. This entry made me cry... I can't believe it's already been 5 years. I love the pictures of you guys so small. Two little peanuts all cozied up in their arms. How does time come and go so fast? I will squeeze my own monsters longer tonight I think.

Sophia said...

This is the sweetest thing, I love that you shared this. Love you Jill.